Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I didn't even like her until she bled.

I should be in bed. Snuggled up bum to bum with a large one legged man. Sometimes that bum gives me heated massage in the night and I get angry. But that's all BESIDE the point. I am awake. And it's 2:30 am. Want to know why? It's been a crappy day and I have to check on all the inhabitants of my house hourly. One inhabitant in particular. A hairy one. No......not Greg.

Upon arriving home from picking up Halle and running a few after school errands, mother daughter style that MAY have included a stop at Kneaders for an after school treat, I noticed the door to the kids' room was closed. Hmmm.

Greg says that Piper had an accident. ALL over the room. This can't be right. Piper is completely box trained. Never had an accident unless she was locked in somewhere. I go to look. Holy cat crap Batman. It's smeared down walls, all over curtains and both beds. I'm shocked. I'm speechless. I'm going to be cleaning.

So I start. And I'm sure you don't want all the details, but it does include two loads of laundry and the washing of walls. It was noteworthy that I found great clumps of cat hair on Jacks bed. Peculiar. I cleaned and cleaned. I ventured to the top bunk to clean the blackened wall beside Jacks bed. Are those boogers? I asked myself as I gazed up at the wall. I was brave. I was calm. I was on the phone. Suddenly the bed quaked and down, down I fell. Most of me. My shirt was caught on the screw, still on the top bunk. Agony. Swear words. Where was the phone? I tore my shirt. And my pride too. I'm still not quite sure what happened. I have concluded that Big Mama has no place on the top bunk.

Forward to later tonight. Here comes Piper. She walking on three legs. (She does have four. I know, you never know cause it IS my house.) Strange. I put the kids to bed and then I sit on the top step next to her to have a "What the hell happened" talk with her. And oh my. She's hurt. And I never really liked her all that much until that moment. She's really hurt. Her face is all scratched and bloody. There is a big gash running down her nose and other scratches above her eye, her whiskers, and her mouth. There are 5-6 big spots on her body and tail that the hair has been ripped out and bloody circles of skin can be seen. And I start to cry. I know, I know. I didn't even like her until I saw she was bleeding.

Here's the thing, she's in inside cat. Refuses to go outside. She is scared. HOW did she get so hurt? I go to investigate. She likes to go under our cupboards in the kitchen. There is a little hole she shimmies up. The hole is bigger and there are pieces of wood and hair around the entrance. Hmmmm. I shove my old boppy pillow (the only "bump" on my body is full of tacos from the 24 hour Del Taco that opened a half mile away.) into the hole in the cupboard.

She's gone to sleep in her cat bed next to Halle. I didn't see her go in, so I do not know how many legs she is walking on. I check on her every hour. I smeared Neosporin on her owies. Mine too, damn top bunk. I think she feels hot, but she's so hairy.....Her eyes look a little glazed too. She's probably in shock.

I don't know what to think. She gets nervous around Greg. Something about her kittenhood and an empty oatmeal canister. It's a story for another day. I took the following video so he could see how hurt she is. I didn't want him to see for himself and distress her. She was obviously in distress earlier. During all the pooping. And if you are hurt, and you poop in my house, you get a pass. Because sometimes, in distressing times when there is pain, that's what happens. And I understand.

I'll post it. I have nothing better to do. Greg still isn't back with my churro and burrito. I'll go in and check on Piper before I try to sleep again. I pet her head and whisper in her ear. I hold her water up for her to drink. She won't because she hasn't all night. And then I'll cry again. Please feel free to mute this video. I wasn't thinking about my blog when I made it. Or I wouldn't have said anything....and I would have turned on a brighter light.

3 comments:

Kjohnson said...

Oh my goodness Jen! That makes me so sad :( poor kitty.

Holly said...

Okay so as sad as that is about Piper I'm laughing at your story telling. I love you Jen!

Jamie said...

Hey thanks! It was fun meeting you guys! It was nice to talk face to face with someone else who has had it done! I will for sure give you a ring if I have more questions!! Thanks