Thursday, December 2, 2010

Just call him Picajack Street

Do you like that title? I do. It took me 3 whole minutes to come up with it. I pride myself with snazzy titles. I think it's a talent. Wanna know what I am not talented in? Photography. Want proof? Read on!!

My niece Chiara has been pumping Jack up about skiing for a few weeks. I hear their little first grade conversations in the back seat. They go something like this:

C- Jack! Skiing is so fun!! Like you will have the best time ever!!! And I'll teach you how to do it Jack!!!
J- Are we going with yow dad? (Jack doesn't say "r's". He's too cool.)
C- Yeah! You don't have to be scared dude. I'll be there to help you!
J- I'm not a dude!

ANYWAY, all this ski talk made it's way to Jesse, the all time best ski patroler on any slope this side of the Mississippi. Yesterday he brought these beat up blue skis named "The blue lasers" to work.   These are the skis that everyone learns to ski on.  They are magic.  Jack refers to them as "My lazah skis."  After school, to Jacks delight, Jesse strapped those babies on!!! Jack is a natural it seems, and caught on right away. He was anxious to try again on the sidewalk after school today. Jesse had bigger plans, so he and I....and the first graders went to Powder Mountain to night ski. It went like this:


Yeah Baby! It was a sweet setup. Jesse hiked up the slope and pushed the kids down yelling "Pizza! Pizza!! PIZZA!!! PIZZA!!!!!" and I caught them at the bottom, popped them out of their bindings and sent them hiking back to the top of the hill. (Pizza is snowplowing, it makes you slow down. -- see Chiara in photo above making her skis in the shape of a pizza slice.)

Well, my son is fearless and he was not content.
He wanted to ride the lift.
He wanted to ski down the slope.
He wanted to go FAST.

So Jesse decided to take him and Chiara both up the lift to ski down. I was hesitant. First, up went Jesse and Chiara. He picked her up half way down the slope and skied her to the bottom. She was crying. By the time he set her down, Jack was half way to the chairlift. I was hoping her tears would give him second thoughts.  No such luck.  Here he is getting on:

This is when Jack's ski fell off right after getting on the lift.  It was held to the other with an edgy wedgy and just dangled.  The whole lift stopped and three lift operators had to take 4 minutes to get it back on.  It was all very exciting.  Can you see the excitement?

This is a photo of them finally going up the chair lift.  (I know some of you don't ski and so I feel like I need to explain these photos to you.)  Happy and waving.


Here they are coming down the "green circle" slope.  Yes that is my brother skiing down the slope carrying Jack.  Jack made it half way down with Jesse skiing backward in front of him.  (Jesse's so cool.)  Seriously, what CAN'T he do?  Do you know what would be a better picture?  Jesse carrying ME down the slope.  Stay tuned, there is a lot of winter left and it just might happen.


It was a blast.  Jack has a fantastic time and wants to go tomorrow.  Thanks Jesse and Chiara! 

**I know there are some great photos and if you want to download them, feel free.  Do it soon though, I expect Warren Miller to be calling anytime and after that, they may be copyrighted.

No comments: