Thursday, October 13, 2011

Arlington National Cemetary

Let me just say that I loved visiting the monuments, and the museums were fabulous (and air conditioned) but my FAVORITE.....by leaps and bounds.....was Arlington.




I cry when the flag comes by in a parade.  Imagine my awe when we arrived at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, only to discover that a foreign dignitary was in town and they were going to do the mighty wreath ceremony. 

Thank you for coming right at that moment, Benji- Prime Minister of Tunisia.  You made my entire day.

We went originally to see the changing of the guard, but we got the whole Monty!

 Secret Service was everywhere and there were lots of men in uniforms with lots of medals on them. Then a car arrived with flags on the front. Over the edge of the steps that lead to the platform where the tomb rests, we heard a lot of yelling. Military yelling. Then marching up the steps came each branch of our military.



Then, the Army band arrived.  They stood about 5 feet away and played the national anthem.  It was amazing.

  Benji did he thing....


 
And then it was all over.  I was speechless.

Best thing we saw the entire week we were there.

1 comment:

Krishelle said...

Amazing! Wish I could have seen it. I love witnessing military ceremonies like this and that feeling of pride I get! You are one lucky girl!