Monday, October 3, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom!

The main street here in Ogden is Washington Blvd.  We drive it almost every day.  Ever since I moved here, when we have been in the car together, my mother says:
"If your name is _______ come in for a free rose. (reading it from a marquee) I look at that sign every time I drive by.  Once, I told asked your dad if he ever thought it would say Raylene.  You know, giving him the hint, but he just said the didn't think it ever would."

I got your hint Mama.

Last week I called the flower shop to inquire about putting my Mama's name up for her birthday.  It just so happens that they didn't have a name yet for today.  How about that.

I am bad at keeping secrets and I hate anticipation.  It was very hard for me to keep the secret.  I could hardly sleep last night in anticipation of driving my mom by today.

I came to work early to drive her to get lunch.  It was a little strange that I did that, but she didn't suspect anything.  When I got here she said:
"I haven't even thought about what I want for my special birthday lunch."

Knowing that I had to drive her by the sign, I said:
"I thought we were having Chinese.  I was all excited for it."

She looked at me and said to my horror:
"That's YOUR favorite, not mine."

CRAP!
"You like it too though!"

She agreed and off we went.

So everyday that we drive by the sign she reads it.  Guess what she didn't do today?
I turned my blinker on and she finally looked over.

She wasn't saying anything so I looked at her.  She was pointing with her mouth open. 

It was awesome.

I think it was funner for me than it was for her, although she was really excited. 

Happy Birthday Mom, I love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest, most special birthday present ever! Way to go Jen!

Dixiechick said...

THAT is an adorable story! See, these are the things I need to keep learning from you Jenalee. You are so good at being thoughtful. One of my favorite things about you. My new goal...replace reaction time with thoughtfulness. Wish me luck. :)