Tuesday, November 12, 2013

How Candy Crusher is just like Earth life.

I know what you're thinking, Candy Crush like life?  How could that be?  Oh, maybe she means that life is sweet.

And to that I say, NOT.

When I first started to play the Candy Crusher I thought it was super easy.  "I can totally do this" I thought to myself.  In the same way my life has become more and more complicated with the passing years, each level was a little more intense. 

Sure, every once in a while you get a striped candy and it's super nice.  Bonus at work, double insurance coverage, etc.  It's all a welcome site.  In my life analogy, I cound my friends as the chocolate balls with sprinkles.  They come in, and while not eliminating the challenge, they take some of the weight off.  I love my friends and I think of them often.  I am filled with gratitude for their sacrifices on my behalf, their willingness to listen and help me.  Their thoughfulness and consideration.  And just like in the game, I like to see them pop up.

Sometimes the levels are super hard (chocolate AND bombs?)  And as soon as I see it I think "This is impossible.  I can't do it."  I think about quitting the game and doing something different instead.  Like work.  But then I see how my friends have all passed that level.  I am encouraged by the evidence that they have gone through hard things and been able to do it.  I am uplifted and I give it a shot.  I usually fail miserably, and I play the same level for a few days.  I get discouraged and I have noticed that I usually win when I play in the morning.  Things always seem better in the morning.  The heartache and desperation of the night seem to fade with the stars.  I am always shocked when I win a particularly hard one. (Hello level 93.)  But when I do, I become more confident.  More sure that I can do whatever lays ahead.  I begin to think "I can do ANYTHING!"

And then I click on the next level and I feel completely inadequate.  It's always like that with trials.  It's so easy to forget what we are capable of and who we really are.  Facing adversity is daunting and down right scary.  It's always our first reaction to want to quit, to say "Are you freaking kidding me?!  I can NOT handle addiction for the next DECADE."  But you try, and little things are learned along the way.  You feel like you get the hang of what you need to do to win the level.  You are helped by others who serve you along the way.  (Extra moves?  Why thank you!)  Sometimes I scroll to the top of the game board and it seems so long and I feel tired, but then if I scroll to the bottom and see how far I've come, how much I have mastered, I am able to more realistically gauge my place.  Never get caught up in what lies ahead in life.  Look back at your successes and gain courage to move forward. 

Sure I have a long way to go before I complete the game, and sometimes I get very afraid that it will just get harder and harder.  The trick is to remember what you've learned, trust in the knowledge you've gained in other levels.   Keep your eyes open and celebrate the striped candies, even if they don't erase the challenge of the level and ALWAYS be on the look out for chocolate balls.  They show up when you desperately need them.  You can do harder things than you think you can.  You have abilities beyond what you know.  And always, always, always, remember that the game was made by KING.  And He assures us that there is indeed a way to win the game....if we'll do the work.

1 comment:

Rowbury Family said...

um...this is genius!!!