Saturday, December 6, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things.

I honestly don't know why this is considered a Christmas song. I don't think it is. I turn the radio station when it comes on. I also turn the radio station when any Rascal Flat's song comes on. I hate them. It grates on my nerves. Anyway, getting back to the point, I don't like that non Christmas song being played right in the middle of the other Christmas songs. Despite all of that, it's got me thinking. With all the yucky stressful things that have been going on this week, I do have quite a few favorite things. Here is a sampling.

1. Clean sheets. I love getting into clean sheets right after a tubby with freshly shaven legs. I especially love it lately when I take that stupid boot off and can sleep bare footed. All you non-boot sleepers take it for granted. You are ungrateful.
2. My husbands chest. I love crawling into those clean sheets and laying on his chest to fall asleep. Especially if he's clean as well. I fit in there perfectly. It's very comforting to me in the same way it felt to crawl in bed with my parents when I was four and woke up with an earache. Just warm and peaceful and sleep-inducing.
3. When my children open the upstairs window as I am backing out of the driveway to go to work. I stop and roll down my window and we yell "I love you's" "Be good's" and that last "Drive good Mommy!"
4. The way Jack's hair always smells like wet dog. Even if I have just washed it and it's not even dry yet.
5. Sitting on the couch looking at the Christmas tree lights listening to Halle read Junie B Jones to me.
6. I love sleeping. That completely comfortable feeling where you are content not moving one muscle. The sheets are cool, the pillows just right....I could sleep all day and all night.
7. Waking up to a clean house.
8. The kids running in to kiss me to show me how well they brushed their teeth.
9. Peanut clusters.
10. When I ask Jack what time it is and he says "there are two 1's and one 2." Then you spend the next few minutes trying to decide if that is 11:20, 12:01, 12:10, 1:12......
11. Halle bringing home notes nearly everyday from school telling me how wonderful she is in class. She follows directions, she is respectful and kind, she tries really hard, she's at the top of her class in everything.
12. My mom calling me.
13. Climbing into bed at 8 am after working a graveyard. My kids covering me all up and shutting the door behind them.
14. Cherry pie in the cafeteria.
15. Bubbles in the bath tub so you can't see what's floating in the water.
16. Taking my bra off. (You know you love it too.)
17. Chocolate peanut butter shakes from Iceberg after the kids have fallen asleep so I don't have to share with them.
18. Getting my hand squeezed three times.
19. Being half way through a good book. Far enough in to know it's a good book, but still having far enough to go to look forward to reading it again.
20. Holding someone's hand, or having Greg's hand on my thigh when I drive.
21. Waking up with Ernie in my bed and knowing he was tucked in with me while I was asleep. He matty little head shoved into my neck with 6 year old care.
22. Drying off with a towel that was just washed and dried with one of the first fabric softener out of the brand new box. Smells so good.
23. Smelling wet cement, cinnamon rolls baking, and the way your neighbor's dryer vent smells when you walk by their house and they are doing laundry.
24. Listening to my kids sing.
25. Kix in chocolate milk.
26. Drinking Tampico out of the jug by the light of the fridge at 3 am.
27. When I am far enough behind watching a show that I can fast forward through the commercials.
28. When I prepay at the pump and then have to go back inside for change because my estimate of how much it would cost to fill my van was an over-shot.
29. Going on a trip. Knowing the house is clean for when I return. Especially going to the cabin.
30. Taking a hot shower at the cabin with the bathroom window open so the cool pine scented air comes in. Especially if it rained the night before.
31. Treats left on my front porch.
32. Crushed ice.
33. Finding a good sale at Gymboree and have $30 to go spend.
34. Talking on the phone in the tub.
35. A clean car.
36. Going to a movie. With a candy bar hidden in my pocket.
37. Going to my Mother in laws house for dinner on a Sunday, knowing she made pot roast with mashed potatoes.
38. When Greg sings to me.
39. Getting kissed when I am standing two stairs above him. I think it's how normal people feel when they are kissed.
40. Eating the perfect green/yellow banana. Dipped in peanut butter. And then rolled in chocolate chips.
41. Dipping hot french fries into a cold Frosty.

12 comments:

Jen said...

Hey I'm not on that list. :) ha ha :) Seriously though, I need your address lady!

Rowbury Family said...

Jen, I love this!!!! I think its great to sit and remember the things that bring you joy especially when the tough days come along! I found that some of my favorite things are on your list..... 16, 18, and 30!!!! There is nothing like taking a shower at the cabin with the window open! I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes that!

Holly said...

mmmmm....i need ice cream now! Thanks for all the reminders of how good life is with all the little things.

Anonymous said...

So you and Ashley are the ones who take all the hot water at the cabin...

David and Natalie Reheis said...

Yeah right Nicole, you know you're the one who takes all the hot water at the cabin! Jen-I was seriously thinking about that NOT being a Christmas song the other day when it was on the radio. Great post!

Britany said...

The water at the hospital is the best and so is the cherry pie! Yummy water and pie.

Eric said...

Good grief. You left out, "Blowing your nose and getting out something really, truly amazing." SUCK!

Anyway, that sure was a list.

Handsome Kenley

Kjohnson said...

Jen they have icebergs up there? Holy crap I am sooo excited. Will you be my first date to Iceberg? I am excited for granna's Sunday dinners too. DO you think we'll be invited? P.s. did Nicole just really blame the lack of hot water at the cabin on you and Ashley? Cause I just had a flashback of Uncle Jeff screaming at a darling 12 year old version of Nicole through the bathroom door. Threatening her life if she didn't speed up in the shower (the very same cabin shower you listed as one of your favs).

Jenalee said...

Well, I feel the need to set the record straight here. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN NICOLE WHO TAKES THE HOT WATER!! I have never done such a thing. In fact, I choose to shower with my husband when at the cabin to conserve the cherished hot water. Yes....that's why I shower with him. :)

All of this talk makes me really wish we were all at the cabin together right now.

Anonymous said...

So the funny thing is just the other day I said to Steve " this isn't a Christmas song" (These are a Few...) I couldn't figure out why on earth they were playing it either!

Anonymous said...

I just love your blog. It brings such a great spirit and boosts up my day when I read it. Thanks!!

I don't know if you got this or not...
I was wondering if you can e-mail me the pictures of the sealing. I took them off your blog and then got them developed but they were so blurry. I was thinking of them with no editing or cropping. Your pictures turned out much better than the other ones and Jesse wants to send them out with Christmas cards. Well let me know.

Love
Susan

Krishelle said...

I hate that song and it defintily is not a christmas song! I think you left a few things out like...watching the top 20 countdown or eating peaches at peach days...

we need to get together I miss you!