Saturday, January 10, 2009

There is nothing to blog about

Greg and I are half sick and Jack is all the way sick....going on three weeks.

I worked 4 graves last week, slept most of the time and cleaned none of the time.

We didn't go to church, we didn't go outside, we went to the doctor and back.

There is nothing going on now to blog about. What should I do? Dig into my past.

Here is one of my most embarrassing moments ever. Thanks mom.

I was a sophomore in high school and I was shy and quiet and very boy crazy. I had a different crush on a different boy every week. For awhile (more than the usual week....maybe two weeks) I had a big crush on a SENIOR. His name is not important....Terry Mealy. Every morning while I walked to one of my downstairs classes I would pass him. Everyday he would smile at me as we passed in the halls. My heart would flutter like only a 15 year olds can. It made my entire day....everyday.

It was winter in Wyoming at the time and the only place to go in the dead of winter was to our local Wal-Mart. You could walk the aisles and get a little exercise. You could see and be seen. You could talk to friends, neighbors, ward members, and coworkers. Everyone was at the Wal-Mart. So was I, with my lovely mother.

We were wandering the aisles and crossed from one section of the store to another when who should appear? Terry Mealy and his hottie friend. He smiled at me and said "Hi." I nearly died. I don't think I said anything. My curious mom, wondering about this boy who was talking to her young daughter turned to see who it was. She did not stop walking as she looked back. Our cart struck a large display in the middle of the wide aisle. Things fell off the display....lots of things. Now these were nice boys and they heard the commotion. They came back to help restock this shelf that my mom had destroyed. I was horrified. She began to make to say things like: "Oh what nice young men you are! What's your name?"

My mother looked at my totally stricken face and began to laugh. She laughed harder and harder until she did the Ernie-laugh. And then she snorted. Loudly. I wanted to disappear forever. This woman was out of control and I was forced by my family bonds to stand next to her as she made this spectacle of herself. The boys continued to restock the shelf...only faster. In an attempt to get away from us as soon as possible, I'm sure. She was beyond talking at this point, which I thought, at the time, was a blessing.

All the laughing and probably a hot flash sent my mother into a sweat. It began dripping down her face. She had not yet regained control of herself. In an effort to dry her brow she raised her arm....and that's when it happened. RIIIPPPPPPP! The entire armpit of her coat ripped out. There she stood, laughing so hard she wasn't breathing, sweat pouring down her face, and her arm half raised so that the gaping hole in her coat was displayed fully. They sat on the floor, arms poised in the air mid-stock and stared at her. The entire store....the entire TOWN stopped to stare.

I don't know what happened next. I went out to the car to cry. And Terry Mealy never smiled at me again.

Is this how you remember it mom?

7 comments:

Kjohnson said...

Ha Ha! At least the rip came from her armpit and not her behind which is where,I must admit, I myself thought the story was heading.Glad you updated. Oh ya p.s. I am in Utah! Getting everything unpacked and settled. Call if you need anything, I am sorry you are sick. hey, I also don't have your number.

Rachel Z. :) said...

hahaha sounds just like grandma!! :) im sorry that those boys never smiled at you again.... that would of crushed me if i were in your situation.

Rachel Z. :) said...

poor Jackers!!!

DougandMe said...

I agree with Krystle I thought the rip was going to be from somwhere else. One time Doug talked Nicole into talking to a cute guy after he gave a talk in church. He was an RM from another ward and she was scared to death to approach him. He said "just go for it" so she did! She walked right up and said "good jock". She was so embarrassed that she just turned and walked away. Not sure she ever forgave her dad for that one.

Anonymous said...

Somehow that snort sound very familiar... is it hereditary? I think I have a few USU memories that involve a similar snort!

LornaJayne Adams said...

I think that you must be thinking about me as you are blogging and trying to make me lol. It is totally working. Bart was intrigued as to what would cause me to laugh so much.

Anonymous said...

Jenalee, The story is not exactly how I remember it, but your version is so much funnier I won't mess with it. Love you, Mom