I thought you would all be able to figure it out by my last post, but I guess not! Last Thursday I had a long awaited breast reduction. My surgeon took a little under 4 lbs total and I feel as though a huge weight has been lifted.
It was a same day surgery and I spent the first few nights at my mom and dad's, where I was treated like the princess I am. I laid in bed, and then for a change of scenery, I laid in the lazy boy. My mom and dad attended to my drains and medications. My ice water was refreshed throughout the day and when I woke up at night and turned on the bathroom light my mother would magically appear in the doorway to make sure that I was okay. Then I came home, where I have been treated like the mother I am. I laid on the couch after I vacuumed, and for a change of scenery, I also laid on the bathroom floor mid-mopping. Jack has attended to my drains. He has a delightful commentary that sound something like this: "Mommy, ah those wed snakes in theh?" No son, they aren't red snakes. My ice water is refreshed by Halle when I ask, and I think she used a clean glass the first time. When I wake up at night and turn on the bathroom light, Greg's voice magically says "Are you going downstairs? I could use a fudgsicle."
It has been a bigger adjustment than I thought it would be. The first few days I was terrified. I had secret thoughts about the positioning of the remaining girls that I was afraid to voice. Here I go have an elective surgery and I end up maimed. It served me right! It wasn't until later, when I got up the nerve to say it out loud, that my mother reassured me breasts are SUPPOSED to sit on your chest. They were not too high, they were where they were supposed to be! Who knew?! Mine have been sitting on my lap. I often almost zipped them up in the zipper of my jeans. There are other surprising things happening. When I sit on a couch and lean on the side, my RIBS rest on the couch! If I squeeze my elbows in really hard, they eventually touch my SIDES. It's like a whole new world!
I still have drains that are spitting out all kinds of gross. They come out on Tuesday. I still have stitches and glue, they will just wear off. I still have some of the girls. Just enough, and I think I will still end up with an "above average" bra size. Which is good, because we don't want to change things TOO much. I also reduced the chance of breast cancer by about 40%.
I have been asked about the before and after pictures and I have decided that if you would like, I will send them to you. First, I will need a picture of YOURS and then I will get mine sent right out. What? I promise I will delete them right away and won't let anyone else see. :) (Yeah, I just called your bluff.)
So next time I see you, it's okay if you tilt your head to the side and try to get a good look, you don't even have to pretend you are looking at my necklace. I expect it. Just make sure you have something nice to say too. I prefer something like: "Four pounds? Is that all? You look at LEAST 30 pounds thinner!"
And with that, Happy Thanksgiving!
4 comments:
ha ha! Come keep your shirt on and send a picture! Congrats by the way. :)
haha this is awesome! I bet they look great! I'm happy you did something for yourself!
You are still making me laugh with your great writing talent. I am sorry you have to be a mom during recovery...why can't all of that stop until you feel "normal" again?! I think you are fabulous!
Hahaha, you crack me up! I think you look great Jen.
Post a Comment