There was a wee bit of a wind storm here in Ogden, in case you hadn't heard. It blew especially hard down the canyon and out 12th Street.
I live on 12th Street.
It blew and blew all night long and the dog cried and cried. She's a wimp. In the morning, the power was out and GLORY BE, all the leaves in my backyard were gone! And there was like 4 feet of leaves!
I sang praises to the wind.
Despite the electricity being out, I drove to work anyway and sat in the dark office with Jesse, quietly waiting for the huge tree to blow down on the building and crush me to death. During those long, windy, morning hours, we watched fences blow down, and trampolines take flight. It was exciting, in a sort of detached way.
Then I stepped onto the back deck, turned my head toward my house, and screamed.
"JESSE! MY HOUSE! JESSE!!!!! J-E-S-S-E!!!!!!"
He came running, of course, and we stood in stunned silence as one by one, most of my shingles blew off and flew down the street.
I was distraught. It was exciting, in the worst way.
Jesse took me to lunch as a distraction and then we closed the business and went home. The wind slowly died down around 2 pm. I took Sage, who had not gone outside all night and all day in fear of being sucked to Oz, and we went out to reclaim our shingles.
Against the fence, across the little street, were where most of them ended up. Along with all the garbage from the office. (The garbage cans were in a ditch.) I thought it should be my responsibility to clean up the office garbage as well. So Sage and I set out with two big black garbage bags to clean up the neighbors fence. (Notice the fence in question...its behind the Tahoe)
And it went well. She ran around, and I cleaned up. I had just stood up and called her over to go home when it came..
A rouge gust.
It was going 90 miles and hour if it was blowing at all.
And it blew me down.
Did you read that right? IT. BLEW. ME. DOWN.
I fell over. My big bags took off down the street, and Sage...she done got blowed down too.
I fell over and into the fence and hurt my hand. And while I was on the ground I realized my shirt had been blown up. Up over the girls.
I stumbled to my feet and gave Sage a helping nudge to her feet. I gathered my bags and started across the street when the rogue gust's little sidekick came at me. I stayed on my feet but my shirt blew back up. Up over the girls. And all the cars on 12th Street were watching me. I know because I could feel their eyes. I didn't know what to do because both my hands were holding the bags and I was walking against hurricane force winds. So I did what any real girl would do.
I cried. And I ran.
All the way home to my husband.
And then I called my Mommy.
I raised my fist in teary-eyed anger to the wind!
Six years ago, we watched a hurricane on television all night with the Robinson's. The news guy had a hard time standing up and he repeatedly fell down. I especially, found it to be greatly amusing. I have mocked him many times in the years since.
And what happened yesterday? That was Karma...kicking my butt.
Beware the winds of fate!



2 comments:
I'm not even kidding I just peed my pants a little. The loss of your roof? not funny. The loss of your modesty? hysterical.
So, you are really quite funny. I laughed while reading your story. Sorry about your roof though.
Post a Comment