Friday, February 3, 2012

Top Ten at 12 years

This post is dedicated to my lovely pouch.  Which was created 12 years ago from right now. 

10.  You have kept me healthy and strong for 12 years.  Well, that first year was a doozy.  Let's say 11 years.  That's more accurate.

9.  You are so good at absorption!  Who knew you would out do yourself in this department?  You make sure you suck every last gram of fat out of everything I eat.  And then you store it.  In case The Famine comes to get us.

8.  My constant companion.  Kind of like the Holy Ghost in a way.  Always with me and whispering to me.  Often you communicate in your gurgly language and everyone around stares at me.  I don't care.  We have our own language.  A language of love..... digestion.

7.  That lullaby we talked about in number 8?  My babies listened to it for the entire 9 months we housed them.  And when they were born, GLORY BE!  They could sleep through anything!!!

6.  Team work.  Somethings not right?  You let me know and I fix it.  Who needs doctors?!  In the words of Rudy Huxtable, "I KNOW my body!"  (like you don't know what I'm talking about.  You still watch The Cosby Show late at night too.)

5.  Crohn's Free.  For 12 years.  BOO YA!

4.  I can eat anything.  Well, maybe not super spicy stuff.  But I never liked that anyway.  One time I ate something spicy and I regretted it later.  R.E.G.R.E.T.T.E.D it.

3.  When I talked to my surgeon 3 years ago, he remembered me.  And asked how I REALLY was.  I told him  "I am chubby and the mother of 2."  It made his whole day.  We went the extra mile.

2.  Humility.  You have given me this gift.  And you continue to give it in every public bathroom we visit.

1.  I am a toilet paper connoisseur.  I wouldn't be with out you.  (Angel Soft....not that creepy Charmin that features bear butts with poopy pieces of toilet paper stuck to them in it's commercials.  Honestly.  It grosses me out.  Who got paid to come up with THAT?)

Being sick 12 years ago and getting through that surgery were the 2nd hardest things I have ever had to do.  It brought me to the edge of insanity and within feet of "not wanting to do it anymore."

I cried, I got angry, I had blood transfusions.  And then....it got better.  And it taught me that if you hang in there for long enough, sooner or later it does get better.  And when you come out the other side, you may find that you have earned amazing gifts.  My favorites are empathy, compassion, and an amazingly strong foundation to my marriage.  And boy, have I needed all of those!

1 comment:

David and Natalie Reheis said...

Aw one of my favorite stories is you in the Old Faithful bathroom yelling something along the lines of, "What? I don't have a colon alright?" To a little girl who made mention of your special "language". Favorite story ever.