Tonight I posted my grand evening on Facebook. Something I rarely do. I truly intended to leave it as it was, but as I layed in the tub afterward, I thought twice about what I had posted. I thought twice about what I had said. I thought about....the rest of the story.
These were the highlights of my evening:
1. After assisting the elderly patients at work all day, I went to pick my son up from a play date. He had a great time, and I texted a heartfelt thank you to the other mother. Then I took Halle to the dollar store to pick out balloons to deliver to her friend who's birthday was today.
2. As we were finishing dinner, the doorbell rang. It was two men from the ward who came visiting. They were older and they openly admired my Christmas tree, my gingerbread house, and the amazing pine scent.
3. Half way through their visit, my Visiting Teaching companion rang my doorbell. I gathered up my things and excused myself. In the car I offered the prayer, then we went to deliver our message of ""Observe then Serve", from the conference issue of the Ensign. I gifted each sister with a hand made ornament. Made from pasta. PASTA, that I glue gunned together.
4. I came home and let my children open today's drawer on the advent calender and surprise! there was a note inside that said "Open up gift #1 under the tree." We did, and found a Christmas book that compliments our all time favorite Christmas book! We laid (Halle, Jack, Sage and I) under the beautiful tree and found the hidden objects in the pictures.
5. Greg and Jack went into the kitchen to prepare us all a delicious snack of Farr's peppermint ice cream with hot fudge. My favorite. Jack served the girls first.
6. I gave Sage the last bit of my ice cream, kissed my children goodnight and got in the tub.
I surely will get a gold star in heaven for this evening.
But....as I soaked in the tub, I thought about everything I didn't mention. The rest of the story.
1. I don't really call them elderly patients. I call them oldies. And they smell weird. We delivered balloons because my 5th grader is having major drama problems with her friends at school and often comes home in tears. I'm hoping 5 balloons go a long way.
2. When I say dinner, what I really mean is gas station corn dogs. My Christmas tree is fine, but they didn't see the places on the gingerbread house where my cat eats the candy off of it. She doesn't eat any people food except for the slow consumption of the yearly gingerbread house. Greg sneaks candy off of it too. I've never told him the cat licks it, and every time I hear him sneaking some, I laugh hysterically. The smell? One of those melty wax things from WalMart.
![]() |
| Greg hates our cat, and our cat? She hates him right back. |
3. Since I don't answer my door, or my phone, my Visiting Teaching companion has resorted to harassing me at work to get me to go with her. She made the appointments, and prepared the message. She even made me pray. Honestly, opening the front door and going with her was my only achievement. And really, I almost didn't. I did make those pasta angels. I burned my fingers and muttered enough swear words in the production process that any blessings I had coming are shot to hell. See how I am?
4. Yeah, I made the calendar and I coordinated all the little notes and gifts. I also steal candy out of the boxes at night when my kids go to bed. And the book? It's MY favorite, not really theirs. As we layed on the floor I spotted a pile of candy filled cat puke under the desk. I also spent the entire time holding my breath because my dog smells to high heaven. She must have rolled in some carcass when I let her out to wander the neighborhood at night without a leash. Yeah, I know that's against the law, but if a cop ever knocks on my door, you can bet that I'll play dumb.
5. We did enjoy the treat. Greg had to threaten Jack, then hold his ice cream ransom to make him serve his sister first. Also, they were Styrofoam bowls. I'm pretty sure that's the equivalent of flipping Mother Nature the bird. She'll come after me some day. I think the dam will break up the road and we'll all be swallowed in the mud. Like that book Julie. Remember that book?!
6. The dog smells so bad I had lost my appetite, that's why she got the last bite. I did kiss my kids...right before I yelled "GET TO BED! NOWWW!!!!" I did enjoy the tub, but I didn't wash my hair. I'm going to stretch it one more day. I know it's nasty, but the oldies smell worse than I do, so who cares.
There you have it.
(all together now..)
THAT'S THE REST OF THE STORY.









1 comment:
I absolutely hated this post until I absolutely loved this post.
Post a Comment