Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Christmas Wrap-Up...unwrapped!

Oh I am so clever.  I dare you to come up with more clever titles!



Christmas of 2012 was a great one.  We had several highlights, starting with a surprise tip to Midway to go on a sleigh ride.  The ride itself was a bit disappointing, our cowboy didn't sing, and it didn't take very long, but dinner at the mexican restaurant was fun! 




Jack has been really into BYU Basketball this year, so Greg and I surprised him with tickets to the Weber State game.  He was really excited.



He took my cell phone and took the second picture.  I wasn't feeling well, so Halle laid in bed with me and watched a movie.  Then I ordered her a pizza.  Eh, it wasn't the super fun night we had planned, but what ya gonna do?

Halle has been taking piano lessons with the same teacher as her friend Maddie.  Their recital was during the break and the girls did a great job.


Christmas Eve we braved the horrible storm and went to Utah County.  We met up with the Robinsons for a matinee showing of Wreck It Ralph.  We ate popcorn and I rubbed Holly's belly.  Afterward, we went over the river and through the woods to Granna's house.  We enjoyed a fabulous meal and some good company. 

After the excitement of the day, it's amazing that Santa could stay awake to make his delivery.  This was the first year that I bought "big" presents for the kids.  I worried that they would be disappointed because even though I spent more money this year than ever before, there were less presents to open. 


It turned out to be just fine.  Halle was super surprised to get a guitar.  She's wanted one for a long time.  Jesse and I chose her a Fender online and she starts lessons next week.  She will now be taking piano and guitar from the same teacher in Layton once a week.  What am I going to do in Layton for an hour and a half every week?!?  Jack's big present was a season pass for Powder Mountain.  Jesse is Ski Patrol there and Chiara is becoming a great little skier.  It was an awesome opportunity for Jack to be able to go often and have his best cousin to ski with.  He wasn't overly thrilled with his special long underwear and expensive gloves on Christmas morning, but he made the best of it.

Jack's hair looks just like his birds.

Halle-the almost teenager.  Reading and listening to her ipod.
 
Christmas Day was dinner at my moms.  It was really good!  We ate and laid around in misery...just as it ought to be.

We were super excited to have our most very favorite friends, the Robinsons, arrive on Saturday and stay for the New Year holiday.  We went to church and ate yummy food.  We watched movies and went sledding.  The best part was our fire side sing-a-long to Kenny Rogers, NKOTB, Aerosmith and Taylor Swift.  We played games and were generally entertained by Holly's trash talk and Cameron's ability to find humor in any situation.



This last picture is the calm before the storm.  Cameron, just playing Phase 10...eating a cookie and singing some Taylor Swift.

Holly's main target for trash talking has (for years) been Greg.  He takes it easy on her, but they have a friendly banter.  During our friendly game of Phase 10, Holly tipped Greg's drink over.  It was a relatively minor infraction, considering it was a fountain drink and had a lid. 

Greg's told me for years that he would "unleash" on Holly one day.  This was the day. 

In a series of blurry, and scream filled moments, all hell broke loose.

Greg smashed the cup with his fist, which made it explode all over Cam.  Who began laughing.

I began my yelling about the mess.

As I was cleaning up the soda, I was acutely aware that Greg and Holly were not calming down.  In an effort to "cool" Greg off, I turned the sprayer on him from the kitchen sink.  Holly bolted and that's when the beast inside of Greg came out.  I have vivid images in my mind of how he looked when I was spraying him.  He didn't stop moving, or even put his hands up to avoid the soaking.  He came right for the fridge and took out a gallon of milk.

Cameron continued to laugh.

Greg chased Holly around the circle in the front room/kitchen.  She screamed and screamed, and he lunged and splashed.  All of the children run up from the basement and the dog took off for Halle's room.  Cameron, instead of protecting his pregnant wife, laid on the floor and nearly stroked out from his laughter.  He made sounds I've never heard. 

Holly was no match for Greg, who produced a scary laugh that I've only occasionally heard.

And just like that, it was all over.  Greg handed me the milk jug, bent down and kissed my cheek and said:

"I won!"

Cameron had to take drugs to recover.  We all had to change clothes.  Every time I go in the kitchen or front room I find more dry milk on the walls and ceiling.

Yesterday, was Jack's first time skiing this season.  He made three runs and did a great job.  I froze my #$* off.  I did get this stellar video of him coming down on his first run.  It took me so long to get out of the Tahoe and slide myself over to the railing without falling on my butt that I nearly missed the shot all together.  You get what you get....


He's decided that his ski pass was a pretty sweet gift after all.

Thanks to all our family and friends who made this Holiday Season awesome!

No comments: