Having said all that, here are a few books I've read lately on my grave shift:
The Roadby: Cormac McCarthy
This book haunted me. It was like reading my worst nightmare. It was written very well, although a little dry in some places. It was the story of a man and his son living in post apocolyptic America. This father constantly struggled with the idea of whether or not he had it in him to kill his son if it came to that. It was an incredibly dark and depressing book, complete with people eating babies. Having said all that, I did like it. I thought about it for MONTHS after reading it.
*****************************
Goodnight, Mr. Tomby: Michelle Magorian
LOVED IT! This was a fabulous story. I believe it is a Young Adult novel which makes it a quick and enjoyable read. It was about a young boy living in London when the war broke out. All the children were sent to live in the countryside to protect them from the bombings. He moved from the home of his abusive single mother to the home of a single, childless, older man. It was also very well written. I really enjoyed it.
***************************************
A Tree Grows in Brooklynby: Betty Smith
I can't believe I haven't read this before. It was the coming of age story of an girl and her inpovished family living in Brooklyn in the early 1900's. Her father was an alcoholic and her mother worked to support the family. The story is loosely based on the author's life. It was very good and I recommend it.
**************************************
Just Another Kid
by: Torey Hayden
If you know anything about me, you know that Torey Hayden in my favorite author. She is a teacher who writes the stories of her self-contained, special ed classrooms. I have read them all >5 times and I still go back to them. She now lives in Whales and has a really interesting website about her writings and a message board.
****************************************
Living, Loving and Learning
by: Leo Buscaglia
This book changed my life in college. I still read it when I need to be uplifted. He is also an educator who taught a Univeristy level class on Love in California. He has since died, but his thoughts and this book still influence me today. It is more of a collection of lectures.
************************************
Well, that's all that's in the bag for tonight. Halle and I have been reading the Junie B Jones books together. They are quite funny and I enjoy them. She got a box-set for her birthday and we can get through one book in about a week. They are fun.
I hope these have given you some good ideas, and happy reading!
3 comments:
I also read THE ROAD. Because Jenalee made me. And then the book made me sick. I had to skip the baby eating part. And then I went back and read it. And then I wished I had left it skipped. And then I went back and read it again. Yes, this is THAT kind of book. You know it's good when you're awake at three a.m. reading the book and still awake at six a.m. thinking about it.
Love,
Handsome Kenley
PS. The other books all sound dumb. SUCK!
Hey, I am so glad that you found our blog. It will be really fun keeping up with you guys since we live so far away.
Post a Comment