Monday, June 2, 2008

A lifetime's not too long to live as friends

Being a good friend is a gift. It is not something that everyone knows how to do. Being compassionate, thinking of others, knowing how and when to serve someone is not a talent given to everyone. I thought it was. I was under the impression that everyone knew how to be a good friend and had friends who were loyal and loving in return. I am learning at the ripe old age of 30, that this is not necessarily the case. To put it quite simply, I have been blessed.

High School:

I was struggling when I entered high school. I had no idea who I was or who I wanted to be. I was experimenting with some unsavory things. I was floundering. (It would be the first time of many) My high school "girls" hold a huge place in my heart. They guided me on to the path that I have walked. They helped me realize who I wanted to be and what was important. They were fun, and adventurous, and we did everything together. We had similar interests and goals and none of us were dating! Instead, we were white water rafting, rock climbing, spelunking, canoeing, and anything else Pa Case would teach us to do. I think we were his favorite scouts and I loved him like a second dad. In high school, Ruby was everything. She let me borrow anything from her, including her testimony. We cried and laughed and she was incredibly instrumental to me. I was in awe of her and she set an example that was second to none. It's hard to put into words what these girls mean to me. They were wonderful then, and they are still very dear. Thanks girls.

College:

My college roommates rocked! Literally burst out of closets singing. They played all my stupid games, and followed me through any sprinkler on campus. Our apartment was "boy central" but again, none of us were seriously dating. Nor were we seriously studying. Catherine was the life of the party. She was the girl in the middle of the big circle on the dance floor. She had moves, and she was as devoted to Buscaglia as I was. She was brave, and loud, and I loved her. Holly married my biggest college crush. The nerve. She is constant and loyal. She was there when I needed her in college, my wedding, and every step since. Now that college crush is my husbands friend! They are our best family friends, taking vacations and turns cooking dinner. Krishelle is like a twin. We are so much alike it's sick. We understand each other so well. I wish we spent more time together.

Married Life:

Everyone always says their husband is their best friend. Greg isn't mine. It's like saying your mother is your best friend. I don't buy it. Your mom is your mom. She is something in and of herself. You can have a million friends, but you can only have one mom. I feel the same way about Greg. He's my husband. Being friends is only one aspect of that relationship. It encompasses so much that it knocks him right out of this friend catagory. My best friend since marriage is, hands down, Kim. Of course it's her, she's family too, so I can't escape her. Instead of sharing secrets we share trials. When life gets incredibly dark and I don't know what to do, Kim shows up. We have done so many hard things together, there's a bond that will never be broken. Someday I'll kiss her babies, and someday she'll be there when the sun fully shines on my life. She is strong and usually doesn't walk beside me as much as she holds me up.

Neighborhood friends have come and gone. Friends who have everything in common with you at the moment, Tori, Dixie, Brittany, Janelle, and Miranda. Friends you sit on the grass with and talk about your kids, your husband, and your mother in law. They are the ones who quietly support you with service, dinners, and prayers.

Family friends. First, my sister. I have never quite seen eye to eye with her, but I strive to be emulate her. I have tried to be like her my entire life, and I still do it. She taught me how to serve others, to cook yummy things, and that blood is thicker than water. Kaylyn who is the sister in law I always wanted. She's perfect in so much that she does that she still intimidates me. But she accepts and loves me and encourages me on.

Work friends who take difficult calls for me. We laugh, eat, and talk about how dumb some people can be. They are my release from home and kids.

Truth be told, I can't name all my friends. They are in every aspect of my life. They walk beside me and sometimes push me forward. They are invaluable, and I appreciate what they bring to my life. These are the women that I admire and love. I think of all of you in cheesy moments like when we sing Sisters In Zion, and I think of you when I need someone to talk to. I think of you when you are struggling. I pray for you when you need strength and I'll bring you dinner in an instant. You have enriched my life beyond measure, and I thank you, and love you.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Jenalee,

You left out the most valuable type of friendship of all. The WandG type friendship, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

Anyway, overall great job!

Love,

Handsome Kenley