Thursday, April 15, 2010

Rolls....and Rash

It was the best of days, it was the worst of days. It was Tuesday.

There was a distinct and delicious smell of baking cinnamon rolls. Mmmm. Kneaded with my own hands and the hands of my daughter. Like pioneer women of old. Only we sang Taylor Swift while we did it. I couldn't find my camera when they came out of the oven so this picture was taken the morning after. Yum.

Recipe: Which has never failed me.
I have learned good friends=good recipes.

Holly's Bread
proof:
2 cups warm water
1 tbsp yeast
1/2 c sugar- if you are just making cinnamon rolls increase to 3/4
Add:
1/2 c. oil
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
6 + c. flour
Knead until the correct consistency. Let raise in warm spot until double. Punch down and use dough to make scones, roll, bread, or cinnamon rolls. Let raise again and then bake at 350.



Also, we went on a walk. Well, the kids rode their scooters and I drove Big Daddy in the car to the park. We were slowly following the kids when they began down a hill. Jack was going faster and faster. I said "too fast! Too fast!!" and then it happened. He flew off his scooter and bounced across the asphalt on his face. HIS FACE. I watched him closely to see if he got up right away. I was trying to determine if he had lost consciousness. He jumped up, screamed and ran to his dad. There were no large bumps, mostly just road rash. Was he wearing a helmet? No. I guess this mom doesn't roll like that. (yeah, I am not mother of the year this year either...what's it to ya?) Poor kid. We took him home and waged the great Neosporin War of 2010 (he didn't want it, I held him down and smeared it on.) I dosed him up with Motrin and sent him to bed. I didn't take a picture so this is Jack sleeping tonight. The rash on his chin? It might be Oreos.

Recipe: I failed him once. Actually, I have failed him many times, but its never left a mark like this.
I have learned good mom=not perfect.

Road Rash
1 little boy- about 6 years old
1 blue scooter- preferably a gift from The Bunny
a small dash of courage
a pinch of inexperience- he got the scooter just last week
a whole bunch of momentum- physics...not good to us Garretts. See here.

Mix the little boy and the blue scooter until it's frothy with excitement. Add a trip to the park and mix well. Quickly add the courage and inexperience at the top of the hill. Beat in the momentum, stirring slowly at first and the faster and faster.

Yields: one road rash-ed face and a bunch of tears.

4 comments:

Kaylyn and Rob said...

Your rolls look delicious!! Yet again you have made me have a craving. Cinnamon rolls sound so yummy! Try not to feel too bad, you are not the only mom to watch her child crash. Although it is one of the worst experiences to watch them tumble & you can't stop it. Tell him we hope he recovers quickly!! That is no fun at all!!

Andrea said...

First, Mmmmmmmmm! Second, Aaaaaaaw, poor guy.

Jill said...

This makes me want cinnamon rolls, but I am not cool like you or pioneers. I'll have to use a mixer. :)

Holly said...

I just love your writing style! Poor Jack, I hope his face is healed. Those cinnamon rolls look delicious!