Tuesday, August 28, 2012

If I were a Primary Teacher

Which I have been....numerous times....I would be so excited to tell my class about what happened to me this morning.

In fact, my kids and I talked about it all the way to school.  Well, until Jack realized he had forgotten his glasses.  Then he was all upset and I vowed to bring them to him.  Never mind it's a 10 minute drive each way.

I guess the story starts 13 days ago.  Greg got pulled over for a brake light that wasn't functioning.  He was given a fix-it ticket.  My dad fixed the brake light (Thanks Daddy-O!) but Greg never took the ticket in to be signed by a peace officer.  Surprise, surprise.

And guess who forgot about it?

Until last night at 1 am, when I let the dog out for her midnight swim in the ditch.  I was laying in bed and suddenly I remembered it.  Once I remembered it, I couldn't sleep.  I know, that's so odd for me.  I was awake until 2:30 am thinking about that ticket.  See, I had to get it signed and turned in before 2 weeks.  That leave me today to take care of it.  And I don't know if you remember THIS post, but I have issues with courthouses and cops.  I laid in bed dreading it, and thinking about how I could make Jesse or my Dad do it for me.  Finally, I thought:

"Surely something will work out.  I'll be able to handle it in the morning."

Then I went to sleep.

Now jump to yesterday afternoon.  After far longer than I would like to admit, I decided to begin reading the scriptures again.  It was in response to something someone said in our Home Group meeting last Thursday night.  I remembered that there were scripture reading websites, so I found one that let me set the time in which to finish the Book of Mormon.  I chose 60 days.  Greg's working on himself for the  next 60 days, and so it seemed fitting that I should to.  I registered, set the plan, and read the first day yesterday. 

This morning, I got the kids up, bathed, and fed.  It was unusual because they decided to eat breakfast at home instead of school.  They wanted Kix and chocolate milk.  And I can't blame them.  I had it for dinner last night.  Anyway, we were leaving home later than usual.  We walked out the back door and as I turned the corner, what do I see?  A motorcycle cop.  At the end of my driveway.  He had pulled over some sorry driver.  I turned around and ran inside to get the ticket.  Never mind I was in my pajamas.  Never mind I was braless.  I approached him and asked if he could sign the ticket.  I offered to tap my brakes so he could see it was fixed.

He said it wasn't necessary.  He signed it, and with a "Have a nice day, Ma'am."  He was off.

Now.  There's a lesson to be learned here.  And Jack said it very well when he said:

"If you read your scriptures, the police will come."

Pretty much, Jack.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! That's awesome! I'm so glad it worked out that way, even though you were in pajamas and braless (which, I admit, is how I am frequently at home too).

Dixiechick said...

So all I could think was, "Hey, you wouldn't even answer the door braless when I tried to go to your house before!" Great story and I love Jack's conclusion. And reading the whole Book of Mormon in 60 days?! I'm impressed. I think the fastest I've ever done it is like 6 months.